Deputies: Parent had gun on seat while picking up child at school | News
BURKE COUNTY, NC (WBTV)- A man was arrested and charged for having a gun in his vehicle at a local elementary school, according to the Burke County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies were notified by school personnel from Chesterfield Elementary School that a man had a weapon in his vehicle on Wednesday afternoon while picking up his child.
On Thursday, deputies saw the parent with the weapon lying in the front seat of his vehicle while dropping off his child in the car rider line. They then conducted a high-risk vehicle stop in the area of Paxhill Road, with no resistance.
"In the current environment, we are enforcing a zero tolerance policy for having firearms on school property," Sheriff Steve Whisenant said.
The weapon was seized and the parent was taken to the magistrate's office and charged with misdemeanor possession of firearm on school grounds before being released on a custody release.
Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Morganton - Burke County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Deputies: Man reported stolen motorcycle, hid it in storage
- NASCAR to honor Dick Trickle after suicide in cemetery
- South Fork Volunteer Fire Department receives $60,000 NC State grant
- Drug busts net meth lab, alcohol still, deputies say
- Deputies: Mom charged after lying about kidnapping, sparking false Amber Alert